Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Fat in Fitness: Fat personal trainers




Right now I'm on the quest to being the healthiest and happiest person I can possibly be...BUT with that said I'm not on the quest to be the Skinniest girl I can be. Right now I'm 5ft 8 and size 16-20 with an addiction to sweets. For years I had issues with self esteem and body image. From the age of about 12 to 22 I've suffered, like many Americans with disordered eating. At 23 after years of growth and learning I'm just beginning to know what it feels like to truly love and accept who you are. I love working (after I get back on the bandwagon) and I love how I feel when I eat healthy foods and take care of myself. I also LOVE when I feel truly confident and at home in my own skin. So I'm now on a journey of accepting and embracing my body in its current state, while still making moves toward being healthier and having the body that is in great physical condition.

So here's the deal, I would love to drop a few pounds and tone up but I still want to keep my curvy body and have no desire to be stick thin or even "skinny". I'm not a short girl and I have a large frame, i.e big boned (yes there is such a thing as small, medium , and large frame) meaning I can carry more weight then someone who's the same height as me, but just a smaller frame. I will always be pear shaped, have thunder thighs, a fat ass, and arms that are larger than the rest of my top half. I've come to terms with that and embrace it. BUT I know that I can and would like to have healthier eating hobbits and a more consistent exercise routine. Though I'm a vegetarian I have an affinity for sweet and snack foods, and I don't always have a consistent eating schedule nor do I eat as many fruits and vegetables as folks would assume. So I'm on the road to not just trying to eat healthier but to have normal eating habits...meaning a healthy relationship with food, Meaning: I don't want to overeat, undereat, or obsess about eating "perfectly". I simply eat the best that I can, allow my self to have "slip ups", enjoy food..the healthy and the guilty pleasures, and live my best life. So I'm now on the search to finding sites and resources that support health and fitness without making it seem like being plus size or overweight is a crime. I'm not a miserable fat person and I know that no matter if the amount on the scale goes up or down, I"m still the same wonderful person. Sadly there aren't many sites or resources that promote or understand that a person can be full figured and be healthy, happy, and whole. BUT I've found a few things that make me have hope : )...Here they are:

1. The Fat Nutritionist ( www.fatnutritionist.com). A site where Michelle aka The Fat Nutritionist shares her knowledge as a nutritionist and what Health at Every Size means.

2. I recently stumbled across an article written a few years ago in the New York Times about overweight Personal Trainer's. (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/fashion/thursdaystyles/01FITNESS.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1 )

3. Former America's Next Top Model contestant, Toccara promoting her workout dvd for curvy girls (www.iamtoccara.com)

4. And a number of blogs written by beautiful and confident curvy girls such as, Young, Fat, and Fabulous (I'll be sharing more of my favorite blogs in later posts)

As I continue on my curvy girl path to a healthier life these things give me encouragement...

Peace, Love, and Souuuuul
-Ronnie

No comments:

Post a Comment